D.V. Sheppard

The web-log of a duck-herding author.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Not-Really-NaNoWriMo

Something wicked this way comes!! That's right - it's NaNoWriMo! 
Yeah, I know, it's a little early. You have to understand though, that I've only known about NaNoWriMo for a few years, and the past couple Novembers were times of transition. I was embroiled in distractions... things like... my wedding, moving, etc. I've consistently remembered NaNoWriMo over midway through the month. This year, I'd like to participate! 

Sort of. 

I've succeeded with the first step, and that was to remember it. Unfortunately, I'm not really keen on officially participating because... well... I really don't want to write a new book - and that's kind of one of their very few rules. So, instead I'm going to unofficially participate. Conveniently enough, my projected word count for the fantasy novel I'm working on is 110,000, and- wow, actually, as of right now I'm exactly halfway there. This means that after I write another 5,000 words before November (and I better ~.~ *holds bat up to my Lazy Butt threateningly*) - I will have 50,000 words left til I'm done (give or take, of course). 

So my NaNoWriMo participation will be to write the remaining 50,000 words of my novel. It feels outrageously daunting (especially considering that it took me months to write the first 50,000), but the incentive of finishing is oh so tasty! *slurp*

How 'bout all y'alls? Any of you officially participating in NaNoWriMo? How about unofficially? 

2 comments:

You should sign up anyway. I don't see anything wrong with finishing the book. Those words will be new to you!
I participated and won in 2010, but I'll be editing my third book next month so won't have time.
 
I'm still trying to determine if I'm going to participate or not. I had an absolute failure last year; the idea was there, the drive was not, and then Skyrim was released and I spent November slaying dragons, so....

Plus, I still have "finished" novels from 2007 and 2009 that I haven't edited and reworked...and adding to that ever growing pile of finished-but-not-really-finished feels kind of daunting.

Anyway, I'd say go ahead and sign up officially. My 2007 novel was a reworking of a play I'd written, so not a completely new story.... I won't tell on you. ;)
 

Post a Comment